Munich Airport invests €150 million in climate protection

Munich airport

Busy cargo hub Munich Airport has achieved a leadership level and an A- rating in the climate change category, awarded by international climate protection organisation Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) for the third consecutive year.

With an A- rating, Munich Airport is among the top eight per cent in its category. CDP collects data on climate change measures by companies and assigns ratings between A and D-. In 2019, 8,361 companies in total globally submitted data to the organisation.

FDH - YOUR TRUSTED AEROSPACE SUPPLY CHAIN PARTNER

Environmentally responsible operations

Munich Airport says it is determined to decarbonise its operations and has several innovative measures in place to move this forward. These feature environmentally responsible, resource-conserving operations as the airport gradually moves towards net zero carbon status. Munich Airport intends to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050.

The airport expects to reduce its total emissions by 60 per cent through its own efforts by 2030. Offsetting measures will be used to eliminate the remaining 40 per cent. These will include initiatives such as climate protection projects in the airport region.

In total, Munich airport is investing a total of €150 million in its climate protection programme. One of the measures that has supported reaching the target is the retrofit of the airport’s ramp lighting with energy-saving LED technology.

CEO and president of Munich Airport, Jost Lammers, welcomed the announcement. “Our CDP score confirms that we are on the right track to successfully implement the Net Zero 2050 resolution of Airports Council International Europe in line with the Paris Agreement and the EU climate neutrality target.”

The airport is a busy European cargo hub for southern Germany and a successful gateway for transatlantic air freight from northern Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. LATAM Cargo has plans to add Munich to its network this year.

You can find the results of the latest study released by the CDP at cdp.net.

Sign In

Lost your password?